Tuesday, January 10, 2012
 
My Week at the Movies
Since I have been down here in Florida I have seen four movies - the theaters are a stones throw from where I live, price of a ticket for a senior is $5.00.

There is also a nearby Temple that shows movies every Wednesday afternoon at no cost and the ones I have seen so far are films about seniors.

The capacity of the room is six hundred people and would you believe the room fills up quickly so for a movie that starts at 1:30 I plan on getting there no later than 1:00.

I think there are a number of reasons so many people attend the movies at the Temple:
The location
The subject matter
The afternoon showing
There is no charge
AND they serve beverages and cookies
I'm especially interested in seeing the films they show because they are usually about seniors, take place in foreign countries and and not the silly or cops and robber type that come out of Hollywood.

Last week I saw the film "Elsa and Fred." It was funny, sad and heart warming.

When the retired seventy-seven years old hypochondriac widower Fred moves to an apartment in Madrid, his daughter has an incident with his next door neighbor, the elder Argentinean Elsa. Later they meet each other and Elsa seduces Fred with her reckless behavior and they have a romance.

Fred is a reserved gentleman and Elsa is far from reserved. She's an attractive eighty-two year old senior, believes in enjoying life every minute and helps Fred get on with his life and he learns a thing or two from his lively neighbor!!

The Descendants
How can anything starring George Clooney be anything but good! - The story, the actors, the Hawaiian islands made for a sad/funny film which I enjoyed very much.



Even appreciated George in his Hawaiian shirts!!

My Week With Marilyn
The actors in the film were all great, especially Michelle Williams who was wonderful as Marilyn Monroe.



I felt that the content was repetitious and the movie was way too long.

I especially liked the character of the young man who played the part of an assistant and had a big crush on Marilyn.

War Horse
To put it in a nutshell the actors were great, the horse was wonderful but the war scenes were too much.



Have you seen any good movies?











Comments:
I did see War Horse and did not feel it was too long. That is Spielberg's style. I found his lighting and photographic angles so retro. It was like watching one of those old epic films. The war scenes were necessary, but it was very hard for me to stomach the last part where the horse runs away and get trapped on the front lines. Although the end of that scene was one of my favorites and I was fully aware of how gently he portrayed the Germans. I have not seen any other movies...but am now steeped in Downton Abbey and loving every minute of it.
 
I enjoyed Descendants and am looking forward to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy since I enjoyed the PBS series a few years ago.

I think I watched Four Seasons, or a similar program, on PBS last year and I really enjoyed it. It was a wonderful program -- emotional -- with a most unique group of people.
 
Millie, thank you so much for the movie tips. I do not watch films when weather is nice as I am outside. But winter months I do like to see a good movie. Dislike renting one and not finishing because I do not like it. Thanks again, enjoy this special time in Florida, wish I was there :)
 
Tabor
Thanks for your comment on War Horse. It gave me food for thought about the movie.

I too found those war scenes very disturbing and thought why do we still keep having those terrible wars.

I watched Downton Abby too and was so captured by it, I didn't leave it for a moment, not even to go to the kitchen for a snack!!

Joared
I'll be watching for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy - Thanks for the tip.

One Woman's Journey
Thanks for stopping by. Florida events keep me very busy, lot's of fun things to do.

Hope all goes well for you.
 
Does Downton Abbey on PBS count?? Love that series!!
 
Awesome that information is useful for me...!
 
Florence

Wouldn't be wonderful to have more shows like Downton Abby on TV and more movies like it too!
 
I was delighted to regain access to your blog through your comment on another of my favourites, wisewebwoman. For some unknown reason, my computer has not been able to open your blog since last summer, so I had a lot of reading to do to catch up on your life.

Millie, thank you so much for reprinting your recipe for latkes. I have been making them for a couple years and recently misplaced my copy. I agree with you, the secret is oil, lots of oil. They are the BEST!

I also use your recipe for gin-soaked raisins - no arthritis yet!

Enjoy your Florida time. I miss going down to Clearwater since my sister and brother-in-law had to sell their winter home - they could no longer afford the health care for ailing senior Canadians.

Best wishes from cold (but sunny) Alberta.
 
I think the last movie I saw was The help. I loved it!
 
I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but think the PBS version of a few years ago was much better. Following the movie plot twists and turns was more difficult making it less enjoyable for my taste.

Hands down, The Artist is the movie I really enjoyed seeing long before it ever garnered some of the awards it's received.
 
Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger