Saturday, October 08, 2005
 
MY TRIP - PART 4
Classes and Sightseeing

On days when there were no sightseeing tours planned we had the opportunity to attend a variety of classes that were enlightening about the people and cultures of the area.

To give you an idea of the classes that were offered, I will list a few: Dead Sea Scrolls, Being A Native Practitioner, Terry Schivo, What Went Wrong, Songs of the Old West, Peoples of the Colorado Plateau, Navajo Challenges Today, Native American Drumming Ceremony, The History of Route 66 and Northern Arizona University Music Dept.

The evening classes were on the lighter side - for example - The Movies We Watch, A Night at the Races, Scenes from the Opera and one night we had a performance by The Gypsy Chicks! The three chicks did belly dancing and what that had to do with the old west I could not figure out but they were very well received!

One morning we were off to spend the day at the Grand Canyon. I have seen movies, TV shows and calendars featuring scenes of the Canyon but to really see it is unbelievable. As we drove through the area we saw the Canyon in many different ways.
It's the kind of place that you have to see at different times of the day. I spoke to a photographer and he said it's best to see it in early morning or at sunset. I saw it but I still can't grasp the vastness of it, I just saw a smidgen.

What I enjoyed even more then the Canyon was Sedona. When I was at the Canyon I looked down into it and when I was in Sedona I felt closer to it, while on the road I was surrounded by the most beautiful red rocks. Wherever we turned it was a sight to behold. You have to see it to believe it.

On our last day of sightseeing we went to Wupatki where we saw the Sunset Crater Volcano, another unbelievable sight! Just amazing! On our way back to the hotel we were all pretty tired and were anxious to get back. The bus driver said we were going to make one more stop. The group groaned!!

It was the Montezuma Castle, a prehistoric Indian cliff dwelling. What a remarkable and interesting sight that was. It would have been a shame to have missed that.

We got back to the hotel at 5:15 pm, dinner was at 5:30 pm. No rest for the weary!
Evening entertainment was at 7:30 pm.

There is a lot more I could write about but, you get the message: "America Is Beautiful."

Millie


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger