Thursday, April 21, 2005
 
POTATO LATKES
A while ago Ronni from Time Goes By asked for a recipe for Potato Latkes, well here it is for all to enjoy!

Millie's Potato Latkes
6 Russet potatoes
1 onion
2 eggs, beaten

1/4 tsp. baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp flour or matzo meal

lemon juice

Peanut oil for frying

Peel and grate potatoes (I use the food processor) saves the fingers.

Pour off some of the water. Grate in the onion. Add beaten eggs and remaining ingredients. Add a little lemon juice to keep the potatoes from turning black.

Drop by tablespoon onto a preheated frying pan with about 1/4 inch of oil in the pan.

Turn and brown each side.

The secret of making latkes in advance is to fry them and remove them onto paper towels to drain, just for a few seconds. I then place them on a cookie sheet and freeze them.

When ready to serve, defrost the latkes, set oven at 400 degrees and heat until hot.

Whenever I make the latkes, I think of my mother who made them while her family sat and waited to eat them hot off the fry pan. I do not think paper towels were available in those days. She used a brown paper bag to drain the oil.

Does anyone remember that?

I also think of my husband Aaron who would work with me, he washed the bowls, utensils and the frypans. Working together made the job a lot easier.

Those were the days, my friends.
Millie


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger