Sunday, November 14, 2004
 
"GOGOL"
No, I did not spell Gogol incorrectly. You thought I was going to write about Google, not so! This is the name of the main character in the novel, "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri. The only criticism I have is that the chapters were too long. I kept saying to myself, one more chapter, one more chapter. It was a book I could not put down, read it in three days.

The next time I get to the library, I'll take out Lahiri's book entitled "Interpreter of Maladies." They are a collection of short stories so I will not have the long chapter problem!

The book got me thinking about my parents who came to this country when they were in their twenties.

They did not speak the language, had to adjust to a totally new enviroment, and at the same time had to hold on to their values and traditions.

My father had to learn the language and earn a living.

My mother stayed home and was slow to learn the language but she did what Gogol's mother did, made all the traditional foods like chopped liver, potato pancakes, chicken soup, blintzes, strudel and coffee cake.

To this day I keep trying to make my potato pancakes like hers.

Millie


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger